Job Title: Hospital Director
Reports to: Medical Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary of Job Purpose and Function
Under policy direction from the Medical Director, the Hospital Director performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities related to the hospital providing quality patient care and excellent client service, management of finances and accounting,
marketing, and promotion of services, staffing and human resources, and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the hospital.
EXEMPLIFY AND EMBODY CARA’S CULTURE EVERY DAY
All employees are expected to exemplify Cara’s five pillars daily: Put Pets First. Trust the Parent. Authentically Human. Good Neighbors. Shake Things Up. Employees should also be willing and capable of multi-tasking, confidently navigate various types of technology throughout the practice, and use mathematical skills accurately throughout their daily tasks. Employees must also mentally and physically stay organized to help ensure the clients and patients receive the best possible experience. Cara employees are also required to be mentally flexible, adaptable, and resilient to working in a stressful and demanding work environment. All Cara employees are expected to always conduct themselves in a professional manner. They are also expected to be independent while working in their role, show integrity, be willing to collaborate with others, and to always be a team player and show initiative.
- In collaboration with the Medical Director, the Hospital Director is responsible for hiring for growth and backfilling various roles within the practice. These hires should be selected with the Cara Pillars, core competencies, and results of required contingencies in mind.
- In collaboration with the Medical Director, ensure each employee has a current development plan in place, monthly one-on-one meetings are conducted, annual salary reviews are conducted in a timely manner, disciplinary actions are executed in an objective and timely manner, and terminations are appropriately documented with the guidance of the Human Resources Team.
- Responsible for ensuring a consistent training program is implemented throughout the hospital for all support roles and an ongoing training program is utilized to reinforce Cara’s goal to help employees to grow and learn.
- Responsible for scheduling the staff to meet the current patient needs, and to keep labor costs within budget
- Ensure all support team members within the practice have reviewed their job description and fully understand what is expected of them within their role
- Supervise staff to ensure that each job is being effectively handled.
- Consistently and fairly enforce all hospital and Cara policies in a timely manner
- Monitor timecards for each employee daily. Ensure timecards are ready for payroll within a timely manner. Review and approve or deny time off requests in payroll system in a timely manner.
- Organize and lead routine staff and/ or department meetings.
- Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
- Oversees training of all staff in accordance with the practice standards and that the above is known and practiced by all.
- Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a professional, timely and competent manner.
- Responsible for administration and review of non-medical client complaints.
- Oversee call back system including overdue reminder calls.
- Oversee collections and returned checks
- Oversee billing, calculation of any discounts and other special accounts.
- Routinely monitors the client experience occurring over the phone by listening to recorded calls and reviewing recorded calls with individual employees.
- Modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients, patients, the practice and employees (i.e., modify schedules for the most productive use of time).
- Verify receipt of all supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and provide to owner.
- Submit all vendor invoices to AP in a timely manner
- Reconcile practice management software
- Reconcile credit card transactions at the beginning of each month
- Organize and file packets of daily financial information
- Sort and process the daily mail.
- Perform transaction corrections.
- Make certain bank deposits are made daily.
- Ensure that the OSHA and Safety program and procedures are being continuously monitored, updated and reported so the hospitals are in safety compliance.
- Meet with the Medical Director regularly to discuss, evaluate and plan for the welfare of the practice.
- Ensure that marketing events are effective – internal and external.
- Motivate staff.
- Check all transactions for accuracy and missed services through regular daily audits.
- Oversee that records are kept up to date. This includes client records with correct names, addresses, pets, charges, medical history, vaccine status, medications administered, laboratory reports, etc.
- Ensure that system of pulling charts, authorization forms for boarding, grooming, surgery, laboratory, x-ray, euthanasia, etc., callbacks, client cards and filing is in place and all receptionists comply.
- Responsible for follow-up and corrections on reminder cards, statements and any other returned mailings.
- Monitor the cost of purchasing so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor and approve all expenditures within guidelines.
- Review the income statements and other financial data to find ways to improve revenues and profit margins.
- Oversee petty cash control and all other accounting functions established.
- Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
- Responsible for cash control in hospitals
- Review accounts receivable and accounts payable to confirm proper and timely process.
- Either directly prepares or supervises the preparation of all business accounting reports and transactions. Audits both the preparer and the hospital personnel performance to assure that proper methods and techniques are being used.
- Periodically reviews fee schedule for services, products, and increases or changes as necessary.
- Reviews and/or purchases supplies and equipment assuring that a periodic review is made to assure that optimal prices are obtained.
- Works with Medical Director and internal Cara Marketing Manager to create marketing strategy, assesses success of all current marketing initiatives
- Works closely with the staff to implement marketing initiatives, utilizing training, motivation, and incentives.
- Oversee the maintenance/housekeeping of the hospital for orderliness and cleanliness of both the inside and outside of the building.
- Monitor janitorial responsibilities.
- Assist in scheduling doctor meetings with Medical Director.
- Plan hospital management meetings with Medical Director.
- Organize monthly staff meeting agenda in conjunction with hospital management team.
- Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
- Ensure that policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to hospital staff and adequate training follows.
- Interview, hire, train, review, schedule, discipline, and discharge practice employees under guidance of Medical Director, Director of Business Operations, and Human Resources.
- Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying with controlled payroll budget under the guidance of Medical Director, Director of Business Operations, and Human Resources.
Special Working Conditions
- Employee should expect to spend nearly all of their workdays standing, sitting and typing at a computer.
- They should have a physical strength and the ability to safely lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Able to assist in lifting patients weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Must possess sufficient strength and assertiveness to effectively restrain patients and ensure the safety of clients and personnel.
- Ability to be confident around pets (ex: dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires ambulatory skills sufficient to perform duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read information.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Staff is routinely exposed to pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
Experience, Education and/ or Training
- College degree preferred
- CVPM preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in operations management, with profit and loss and HR responsibility. Experience in a medical care facility is a plus.